Aptos: The Fastest Layer 1 Blockchain?
What’s The Aptos Blockchain?
Aptos is a layer 1 blockchain developed by Aptos Labs. Their goal is to be the most secure and scalable Web 3.0 solution. Aptos was created by the developers of the meta-blockchain project Diem and is called the "Solana Killer". The Aptos blockchain is designed to provide a secure, fast, reliable, and upgradeable Web3 infrastructure and is widely adopted in the mainstream. Aptos is a community-driven blockchain that meets the resource requirements of Web3, an ecosystem of decentralized applications that solve real-world problems.
How Does The Aptos Blockchain Work?
Although not fully functional yet, Aptos has some powerful features that make it stand out from all other blockchains. These include:
- Parallel transaction execution: Aptos uses a Block-STM smart contract engine that can process multiple transactions simultaneously. Transaction speed is greatly improved because the entire chain does not stop even if the transaction fails. Currently, the Aptos testnet can manage 160,000 concurrent transactions that complete in less than 1 second. This also affects transaction fees, which are very low.
- The Move programming language: Move is a flexible language that helps meet the needs of Aptos developers. For example, a developer can define custom resources that cannot be copied or destroyed, making it very difficult for fraudsters to manipulate the blockchain.
- Aptos Byzantine Fault Tolerance (AptosBFT) consensus algorithm: Aptos uses two consensus protocols: Proof-of-Stake and AptosBFT. This is their own custom consensus algorithm based on the HotStuff protocol. The algorithm analyzes on-chain status and automatically updates the leader rotation to adjust unresponsive validators without human intervention.
- Private key recovery: Aptos users have the option to rotate their private keys for added theft protection. Validators can also rotate consensus keys periodically.
- Streamlined upgradability: The blockchain team focuses on upgradeability, allowing you to scale your network without downtime. This is achieved with Aptos' modular architecture and built-in on-chain change management protocol.
Overall, Aptos can offer advantages such as high transaction speed, improved scalability and security measures, and low transaction costs. All of this makes Aptos an attractive choice for businesses of all sizes.
How Is Aptos Different From Other Blockchains?
Aptos blockchain is characterized by its transaction speed, security, and sustainability. To get a more detailed picture, let's compare it with a few popular blockchains:
Aptos vs Ethereum:
- Both blockchains currently use the Proof-of-Stake consensus mechanism, which is one of the greenest. Therefore, Aptos and Ethereum have the same environmental impact.
- Transaction speed: Ethereum is currently expected to be able to process 100,000 transactions per second. But even this increase is beaten by Aptos, which can handle 160,000 TPS. Additionally, Aptos' time to finality is less than 1 second compared to Ethereum's 15 seconds to 5 minutes.
Aptos vs Solana:
- Both Aptos and Solana run on Proof-of-Stake consensus, but each has its own algorithms: Proof-of-History for Solana and Byzantine Fault Tolerance for Aptos. This contributes to high throughput and good scalability. Aptos can handle 160,000 TPS, as opposed to Solana's 65,000 TPS.
- Transaction time: Aptos has a finishing time of less than 1 second, while Solana takes 2.5 seconds.
Aptos vs Avalanche:
- Avalanche is a new generation blockchain that works with PoS. It can boast fast transaction speeds (4,500 TPS), but Aptos is far ahead with 160,000 TPS. Aptos also has a short time to finality, less than a second, while Avalanche takes 2 seconds.
Therefore, the Aptos blockchain is functionally more efficient, enabling faster and cheaper transactions.
What’s The Future Of The Aptos Blockchain?
Aptos' claim to be the most secure and scalable blockchain has undoubtedly caused a lot of discussion in the blockchain community. So far, they have lived up to their commitments, demonstrated impressive transaction speeds, and successfully deployed a well-thought-out and reliable network architecture. With such a solid development approach and a team of experienced experts, Aptos could really become one of the best blockchains.
Blockchain Developer at GlobalVox